Friday 15 April 2011

#blackout trending again after extended break.... just in time to get rush through under urgency...

posted 13 Apr 2011 20:53 by Jess Maher


Getting up to speed quickly, I'm not sure that stuff.co.nz was one of the first news channels to pick up on the story yesterday... but I have to say, you gotta love the URL for this story - http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/4882838/government-is-totally-fucked


But as many would know, this is not the first time NZ internet users have "blackout" in protest of internet privacy laws.. In fact, I noticed this after that the Creative Freedom page must have been getting a few hits and maybe people confused on their site as they added the following Note to the top of their page ...

NOTE: This page is from 2008. It is not applicable to the 2011 law.


And actually appear to have since re-launched the site... http://creativefreedom.org.nz/

While the topic was "trending" on Twitter since debates began last night (see some of our other posts on the topic, from James or myself here), the traditional media streams, particularly TV news, kept this one very quiet... of course by the time the traditional TV media caught up, the bill had already been passed...



We noticed some points that other people also seemed to pick up on, for example- this is from an article from NBR.co.nz on the topic after the debate -


"National MPs Melissa Lee and Katrina Shanks also made at times confused contributions. "I've got no idea," Ms Shanks stated at one point."


I decided to make up a few quick comics on a cool tool called toondoo.com which kind of tried to capture the level of debate from the members....











I made a few others, but was ill advised against continuing to draw reference to them, which I won't... however, I will just leave them on my toondoo.com account I think - freedom of speech and all!


________________________________________________________________

You can see this post originally here -
http://members.assistnz.com/members/jess-maher/blackouttrendingagainafterextendedbreakjustintimetogetrushthroughunderurgency


No comments:

Post a Comment